The Glass Mine is located south of St George, Utah. To get to the mine
it helps to have the coordinates and a good map. Any high clearance
vehicle can get to the mine in dry weather. Here is a set of
coordinates and directions from I-15 the St George Blvd. exit is the
1) N37˚ 06.585' W113˚ 33.283'
#1 Get off the I 15 at St George Blvd and take River Road south (right turn off St George Blvd.).
2) N37˚ 05.137' W113˚ 33.363'
#2 Go left on Stake Farm Rd (maybe listed as 1450 S)
3) N37˚ 05.047' W113˚ 31.348'
#3 Go right on the sharp curve
4) N37˚ 04.890' W113˚ 31.311'
#4 Go left on E 1580 S Rd.
5) N37˚ 04.898' W113˚ 29.699'
#5 Go right on 4300 E Rd
6) N37˚ 04.406' W113˚ 29.654'
#6 Go left at the "Y" onto 2000 S Rd
7) N37˚ 04.040' W113˚ 29.657'
#7 Go left on 4700 E Rd
8) N37˚ 03.477' W113˚ 29.152'
#8 Go south staying on 4700 E Rd
9) N37˚ 01.817' W113˚ 28.595'
#9 Go left at the "Y" - The "Y" is now closed off. Stay on this road until you get to #10.
10) N37˚ 00.136' W113˚ 28.037'
#10 Go right onto a "T" road
11) N36˚ 59.534' W113˚ 28.229'
#11 Go left at the "Y" on to the Sunshine trail Rd
12) N36˚ 58.724' W113˚ 27.821'
#12 Park at the Glass Mine
This mine is a Gypsum mine and was first used by the pioneers (so I am told) to mine the gypsum for window glass since it is so clear. The sample in the picture is almost an inch thick and yet you can easily read the cover of the magazine.
Enjoy the area.
More pictures (It will take about 3 minutes @ 56kbps to download.)
Back to Rockhounding
Click on the blue link and then add your comments or concerns to us to send an E-mail to us.
© 2017 John & Shirley Bloomfield, for individual non commercial use only.